Using iEFIS for IFR Flight

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
mi_dude33

Using iEFIS for IFR Flight

Post by mi_dude33 »

Is anyone using an MGL system for IFR flight?

I know that MGL iEFIS is not TSO certified but if you add a certified Garmin 430 as the primary GPS source and the aircraft meets 91.205 it seems like it might be possible.

I'm just curious if anyone is doing this now.

Thanks
Kirk
G3 Challenger/Explorer
V16/Razor
SP-6/SP-7
Garmin GTX-327
adamoconnor

Re: Using iEFIS for IFR Flight

Post by adamoconnor »

Kirk,

A "full" iEFIS system (NOT iEFIS Lite or MX1) is capable of interfacing a certified navigator like the 430, 650, 175/375, IFD 440/540 etc etc through ARINC 429. A forum user on here by the name of hpmicrowave has a dual iEFIS and dual 430W installation in his recently-completed RV. I've flown GPS 175 coupled to the iEFIS and have executed LPV approaches with it with success, including autopilot coupling.

Adam
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
mi_dude33

Post by mi_dude33 »

Thanks Adam
G3 Challenger/Explorer
V16/Razor
SP-6/SP-7
Garmin GTX-327
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

I am also interested in the possibility of using my Voyager EFIS and by adding a TSO Garmin 430w as the primary GPS, to use it for the odd NVFR flight.
Any further thoughts from those who have ventured forth with such in Australia, you can pm me if you wish in confidence.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units
rwarre

Post by rwarre »

Have been using the iefis and 430 for several years in ifr conditions. In the US the faa regulations recognize the 430 as the primary ifr equipment and mgl efis as supplemental but not back up. The wording on the certification is important.
MikeBlackburn

Post by MikeBlackburn »

Also having this dilemma in South Africa.
430w still very expensive and also need refurb.

Looking to put in a gps-175 and a G5 as a backup AH. THE -175 can drive a flight director in both g5 and MGL.

Need radios though. Haven’t seen any pireps on the N16/v16/a16 combo though. Garmin radios stupidly expensive and seem like overkill if the radios don’t need to be certified.

Just trying to find a way to make everything to play together.
Mike Blackburn
MGL iEFIS G3
ZU-IBM (Sling 4 Turbo S/n 009)
bbwhitey

Post by bbwhitey »

JimJab wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:10 am I am also interested in the possibility of using my Voyager EFIS and by adding a TSO Garmin 430w as the primary GPS, to use it for the odd NVFR flight.
Any further thoughts from those who have ventured forth with such in Australia, you can pm me if you wish in confidence.

Cheers
JimJab
Gday JimJab, did you pursue the NVFR option. I'm in Australia with 2 Voyagers as well and want the system to be NVFR authorised. Looking for a compliant inexpensive option.
Regards,
Brett
bbwhitey
RV10
Voyager x 2
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

Hi Brett,

Nice aircraft you have, sadly I have not followed through as far as I would have like with my NVFR avionics requirements, as yet.

I've had a few other things I wanted to sort with my aircraft's MGL avionics before doing the TSO GPS. Also having limited panel room to install a TSO GPS has slowed things down as well. As yet I have not done the research to see what I could fit into my panel to meet our NVFR requirements. One good thing, my Exp Aircraft's SCOA in it's appendices is approved for both NVFR and IFR flight when the SCOA was issued.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units