UL Power engine, ECU and RDAC CAN

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
runbjo

UL Power engine, ECU and RDAC CAN

Post by runbjo »

HELP needed!
My setup is as follows: UL Power engine, single ECU, RDAC CAN for engine data, RDAC XF for termocouples and tank level. iEFIS Discovery.

From the ECU I have the RS232 TX connected to pin 3 in the DB9 connector of the RDAC CAN. Pin 6 and 7 to the CAN BUS. RDAC CAN dip switches currently 1 on, The RDAC XF is set up as RDAC 3 (A off, B On).

On my iEFIS custom engine screen, I have set data sources for ECU data to RDAC 1. EGT/CHT and FL1 data source is RDAC 3 (XF)

When running the system, I get data from RDAC 3 just fine, but few data from the ECU (RDAC 1). The only ECU data I see working on the iEFIS is the oil temp.

When running the engine with UL Read hooked up to the ECU, I get all engine data ok, so I know my engine sensors are working fine. It semes to me that the ECU data gets lost passing through the RDAC CAN, and I am currently stuck on how to fix this.
I have attached a few diagnostic screen images, any help with trouble shooting or solving my issue is highly apprechiated.
Attachments
IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg (130.3 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
IMG_0681.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0682.jpg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
Desi

Re: UL Power engine, ECU and RDAC CAN

Post by Desi »

So far i am also facing similar issues. I hope Rainier can help you out betterthan me but as you recieved no replies, I will try to give you my opinion. Frim other posts I understand you should confugure RDAC CAN UL as RDAC 1 and RDAC XF as RDAC 2. Both of the, connect via CAN.

Now, you need to assign in the RDAC XF Dep switches, A on and B off to give you two RDAC readings, not three. Then you have also the Deepswotches in the RDAC CAN module to set, 1 ON and 6 OFF or ON depending on how to consider. Ecu A and ECU B to behave DS 1 ON and 6 ON and the system will read both ECUS as one RDAC, where if A fails to read the o fo gors to ECU B. If you set 1 ON and 6 OFF your system eill read two RDACs independently as far as I understand from the manuals (RDAC CANUL P).

Thenyou need to do some custome screen design to assign each reading from each ECU.

I hope i could help you out a little bit but I am sure somebody else can exolain it better.

I’ll follow up
Desi

Post by Desi »

Excuse me not from each ECU but from each RDAC, I mean, you need to assign FL reading to RDAC 2 (RDAC XF) and so on
PH-MNX

Post by PH-MNX »

Hi,

My setup is similar, UL Power, xTreme EFIS and EMS, RDAC ULP and RDAC XF.
ULRead shows ECU is OK (via RS232)
RDAC XF is 2, RDAC ULP IS 1.
Both via RS232 and CAN (and both) the RPM shows 9001 and the led flashes twice indicating RDAC ULP is OK and EFIS is OK and they communicate.
However the ECU does NOT 'talk' with the RDAC/EFIS.
Did someone solve this issue?

Cheers,
Marcel
PH-MNX

Post by PH-MNX »

Rainier replied to me that:

The intention is to connect the ULP RDAC to the engine via CAN.
Standard RDACs do have firmware support for the RS232 but the RS232 driver chip is not fitted.
Note that we have a firmware update to support the newer ULP engines that changed the CAN baudrate.
In most cases the firmware will need to be programmed by your dealer but it is possible to do that via RS232 after the driver chip has been soldered in (this chip can be soldered by hand, it is a MAX3232 in SO16 package. Also needs 4 x 100nF ceramic capacitors in 0603 format, all 4 of them right next to the chip - can't miss it).

At Reichelt, I bought for less than 3 EURO:
MAX 3232 CSE - RS232, 2 drivers / 2 ontvangers, SO-16
KEM Y5V0603 100N -Multilayer-keramische condensator, 100nF, 25V, 85°C (4x)

Soldered them in the RDAC (SMD is horrible if your eyes are over 50) and it works!!!
RDAC-RS232.jpg
RDAC-RS232.jpg (239.38 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
runbjo

Post by runbjo »

Thanks for the input everyone.
I have yet to sort out the issue with communication between the ECU and the iEFIS (via RDAC CAN).
Looking at a picture of my RDAC, it looks like I already have the correct items installed on my unit..

Also, it was mentioned in a conversation with MGL Support US, that my RDAC was a 2014 modell (purchased 2017). Being an early model, it may not be configured correctly.

Regards Rune
Attachments
9EC4BDD7-C6DB-4ACD-80C1-D3C10407EBDA.jpeg
9EC4BDD7-C6DB-4ACD-80C1-D3C10407EBDA.jpeg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
PH-MNX

Post by PH-MNX »

With the RS232 in place, we should be able to flash the new firmware of the RDAC ULP, however the configuration details of the RS232 communications are not documented. Using the configuration of the RDAC XF does not work.

Does anyone have the RS232 com config of the RDAC ULP (baud rate, databits, stop bits, parity, etc.)
Also I think I have to set the correct identifier of the STM chip, the RDAC contains the STM32F105VCT6.
I tried several identifiers, but I think it is: STM32F1_Connectivity-line_256K
This actually results in the flasher trying to connect, but it fails, because it 'thinks' the STM is NOT in boot load mode.
However it is, because I connected the two solder points (AK) at the connector during power on and the led does not flash (which means it is in boot mode).
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

You do not select anything. The defaults in the STM application is all that is needed.
If it cannot connect the RS232 link is not working or not working both ways. Make sure you have selected the correct COM port your RS232 dongle has been issued with.

The STM application will extract all it needs to know from the processor. You do not select anything at all.

What happens. When you try and connect the STM application sends a single byte to the CPU (that must be started in boot mode) This byte has the value of 0x7F. Baudrate is 115200 as default. The CPU if it receives this byte will answer with a single byte: 0x79. If the STM application receives this it will continue to the next page and query the CPU for memory layout, CPU type etc.

You know that you are in boot mode if you start the RDAC with the boot link closed (using a pair of tweezers or similar) and the LED does not flash.

If nothing happens - either the CPU is not receiving the 0x7F from the PC or the reply of 0x79 is not getting to the PC. If you have a scope (I suspect you have) you should be able to see those bytes being received or sent.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Another thing - many of the RS232 USB devices don't work in a 64 bit environment. Make sure if you are running a PC or laptop with a 32 bit system. The STM application is 32 bit and wants to use a 32 bit driver. 32 bit drivers do not work in 64 bit systems.
PH-MNX

SOLVED: UL Power engine, ECU and RDAC CAN

Post by PH-MNX »

At last I have the ULPower ECU talking to the RDAC ULP via CAN BUS.

I couldn't get the STM32 Flash loader working on my 64 bit Windows 10 (I don't have a 32 bit machine anymore).
However if you check the ST development tools page, it states that the tool is replaced by STM32CubeProgrammer (https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... stm32.html)
Hence I downloaded the STM32CubeProgrammer (https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... eprog.html).

This tool is very nice and works on Windows 10, Mac and Linux.
I still had to try many times to get the STM32 in boot loader mode and it is a little tricky (I mean it only works in 5% of my tries).
However I successfully connected the STM32 with the laptop and first retrieved the existing firmware and saved it to a file.
Then I inserted the new ULPCAN.bin.
I compared both and indeed they are different, my original version is 170415 the new one is 2200920.

I connected the RDAC ULP to my ECU and EFIS and ..... still not working.
Since the firmeware is now OK and the RDAC - EFIS connection is OK too and the RS232 connection works,
there is not much left that can be wrong. So I rechecked the wiring and everything looks OK.
Then I measured the voltages on the RDAC DB9 connector (CANBUS ECU pin 8 and 9).
The voltage on pin 8 is higher than 9, which looks like 8 is connected to CAN HI of ECU.
I created my own cable from the ECU to the RDAC using SureSeal connectors and according to the drawing of ULPower.
The drawing (E080303: CANBUS - EFIS cable) states that the socket 3 is CAN Hi and socket 2 is CAN LO.
I twisted them and IT WORKS.

So the following steps are required to let the ULPower ECU talk with the MGL RDAC ULP (over CANBUS):
1. Solder the MAX3232CSE and 4 100nF capacitors onto the RDAC ULP PCB (if they are not there already)
2. Install STM32CubeProgrammer and flash the STM32 with the latest RDAC ULP firmware
3. Check the cable from the ECU plug (Yellow) to the RDAC ULP DB9 socket 3 should go to pin 8 (CAN LO), socket 2 to pin 9 (CAN HI)

Now the ECU talks to the RDAC both over CANBUS and RS232