Designer: Transponder / ADSB

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
brs

Designer: Transponder / ADSB

Post by brs »

I'm a bit confused about the [ADSB] tool on the default MX1 screen below.
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.27.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.27.00 PM.png (18.81 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
I'm not quite sure what this is for as it seems the Transponder tool (when configured to slave) does everything that is needed. Can someone explain this?

Useing TT22 & PS-12 for ADSB.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Designer: Transponder / ADSB

Post by rainier »

This is the control for a transponder and a separate ADSB transceiver. You can slave the two - to make sure they always transmit the same squawk.
If you only have a mode-s transponder you can ignore the ADSB - no functionality here - if you have an ADSB UAT receiver you do not need the ADSB control either.
brs

Post by brs »

rainier wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 pm This is the control for a transponder and a separate ADSB transceiver. You can slave the two - to make sure they always transmit the same squawk.
If you only have a mode-s transponder you can ignore the ADSB - no functionality here - if you have an ADSB UAT receiver you do not need the ADSB control either.
Thanks Rainier, So let me restate this to be sure I have it clear. Although I installed it I don't always understand the ADSB hardware. I have ADSB-out with the TT22+SP12, so the xpnder and and ADSB out device is one in the same. Thus I don't need the ADSB 'tool'. Also, since I am using the Stratux to receive UAT, I dont need the ADSB control. I'll go ahead and slave the two but I'm not sure that will be doing anything though doesn't seem like it can hurt.

Great, now I can remove that control from hogging screen space.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

You have 1090ES. It is often referred to as ADS-B but that has caused a lot of confusion with 978Mhz UAT which is the actual ADS-B system.

The information your transponder broadcasts on 1090 Mhz is very similar but not identical to that of the UAT transmissions originating from a ADS-B transceiver.

ADS-B ground stations receive both UAT as well as your 1090ES transmissions and merge this information into the network. That is why your transponder is ADS-B compliant.

As far as the EFIS goes - if you edit your own screens - you can remove that ADS-B control interface as you do not need it - everything happens via your transponder and you don't have to worry about anything.
brs

Post by brs »

rainier wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 am You have 1090ES. It is often referred to as ADS-B but that has caused a lot of confusion with 978Mhz UAT which is the actual ADS-B system.

The information your transponder broadcasts on 1090 Mhz is very similar but not identical to that of the UAT transmissions originating from a ADS-B transceiver.

ADS-B ground stations receive both UAT as well as your 1090ES transmissions and merge this information into the network. That is why your transponder is ADS-B compliant.
Very helpful info, redundant control is removed.
So I wonder if transmitting on 1090 vs 978 makes a difference on how other aircraft see me when outside of the radar environment. I guess that is why Stratux has both receivers, do most other ADSB-in solutions have dual receivers?
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

So I wonder if transmitting on 1090 vs 978 makes a difference on how other aircraft see me when outside of the radar environment. I guess that is why Stratux has both receivers, do most other ADSB-in solutions have dual receivers?
That all depends on where in the world you are. For instance, in the UK only 1090 MHz is used for ADSB but there are uses of 978 potentially for weather, FIS-B etc. In order to receive ADSB you'd only need a 1090 transmitter/receiver. Set ups, such as mine, use the extended squitter of my Mode S transponder to output ADSB, whereas there are low power 'carry on' units that are allowed to do the job....in the UK. In order to receive I use a Pilot Aware unit but the 'carry on' units are also able to receive. In both cases the data can be displayed on the likes of an iPad, using a navigation app, by connecting them by WIFI. It is also possible to have a serial converter plugged into the Pilot Aware so the data can be fed to my MGL iEFIS. I haven't done that as I don't use the EFIS maps all the time, the targets are very small and difficult to discern against the background and it does seem a bit daft to me having even more places to look; especially as I get audio information piped to my headset telling me where to look as well.
brs

Post by brs »

PaulSS wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:15 pm In both cases the data can be displayed on the likes of an iPad, using a navigation app, by connecting them by WIFI. It is also possible to have a serial converter plugged into the Pilot Aware so the data can be fed to my MGL iEFIS. I haven't done that as I don't use the EFIS maps all the time, the targets are very small and difficult to discern against the background and it does seem a bit daft to me having even more places to look; especially as I get audio information piped to my headset telling me where to look as well.
Hi Paul, Yes I do use an iPad (FlyQ). But I want the traffic on the MX1 as well mostly for the audio alerts, since the MX1 is already connected to the audio for other alerts. Also, I am using the Stratux serial connection direct to the MX1 (which took a bit of effort to get right).

I agree, the targets don't show up well on the maps, BUT they work very well on the EFIS screen if you enable 2D traffic. This is how I will likely use it the most, and hopefully I'll get audio alerts as to traffic conflicts. Not really sure if that is implemented or not.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

I am busy working on our prototype ADS-B/UAT/1090ES receiver. It's the size of a SP-7 and uses the same housing. It's a true dual receiver but uses only a single antenna via a diplexer. It's a real designed for purpose system complete with SAW filters, RF preamps etc - not a repurposed satellite TV receiver. It should be quite price competitive with the DIY solutions out there. It can also evaluate ordinary mode-A and mode-C transmissions from older transponders and estimate how far the aircraft if from you based on the received signal strength which it can measure accurately. So it can be used as an early warning device even for older transponder equipped aircraft - as long as that aircraft is being interrogated by a radar or other aircraft's TCAS system.
brs

Post by brs »

rainier wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:41 am I am busy working on our prototype ADS-B/UAT/1090ES receiver. It's the size of a SP-7 and uses the same housing. It's a true dual receiver but uses only a single antenna via a diplexer. It's a real designed for purpose system complete with SAW filters, RF preamps etc - not a repurposed satellite TV receiver. It should be quite price competitive with the DIY solutions out there. It can also evaluate ordinary mode-A and mode-C transmissions from older transponders and estimate how far the aircraft if from you based on the received signal strength which it can measure accurately. So it can be used as an early warning device even for older transponder equipped aircraft - as long as that aircraft is being interrogated by a radar or other aircraft's TCAS system.
Rainier, is that the SP-14? Will it have WiFi/BT for the ipad's? How far along is the progress on that. Nice that It will be able to 'see' non ADSB (when interrogated) traffic.
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

It can also evaluate ordinary mode-A and mode-C transmissions from older transponders and estimate how far the aircraft if from you based on the received signal strength which it can measure accurately. So it can be used as an early warning device even for older transponder equipped aircraft - as long as that aircraft is being interrogated by a radar or other aircraft's TCAS system.
The Pilot Aware system also does this and does it well. I think they had to spend some considerable time developing an algorithm that allowed the unit to discern the strength of the transponder signal (of course, a response to an interrogation) to enable an estimate of the target aircraft's range. Clearly an airliner blatting out a strong signal from some distance away is not a threat, unlike the Cessna 172 whose received signal is the same strength as the airliner's but is about to ram you.