Floscan and rdac connection

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
matthunter1448

Floscan and rdac connection

Post by matthunter1448 »

I'm using the floscan fuel flow meter and wondering if it needs the 5v jumper with resistor like in one of the older ff gauge manuals. Only want to wire it once. Thanks The rdac I'm using is the rdac-xg.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Floscan and rdac connection

Post by rainier »

Like many of these flow senders it needs a pull up resistor - usually to 5V or 12V. We tend to recommend a resistor in the 5KOhm range but be prepared to experiment - we have come across a few lately that don't seem to be able to pull even a relatively small current load to ground properly so you might have to use a larger resistor value.

Easiest way to be sure - just blow lightly into the inlet to get the impeller turning then measure the output voltage when it stops - it will stop either at the high or low level. Make sure the low level is 1 volt or less.
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

Could I start with a 4.7k?
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

yes
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

i'm back to doing this, the 4.7k did not work correctly so should i go to say 10k?
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

A 4K7 to 12V should give you a really good signal - if it does not your flowscan is most likely toast. I really would recommend you beg, borrow or steal one of those portable scopes and hook that up to the output of your flowscan and let rip - you should see a nice solid pulse train with flow - the faster the flow the higher the pulse frequency.

I you see nothing (either solid 0V or 12V) you have a broken flow sender. Assuming of course your resistor is correctly wired (that provides the high voltage (12V) - the sender itself is really just a switch to ground (zero volts).
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

Ended up getting this working. I had my k factor set way to high. It now reads close to normal