Van's forum and MGL

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

Van's forum and MGL

Post by rainier »

MGL no longer has a presence on Van's forum and our accounts have been closed so I can no longer post on that Forum.
The considerable fees that needed to be paid where in the past paid by MGL Avionics in the U.S.
As it effectively became a Garmin forum we decided to pull out.
matthunter1448

Re: Van's forum and MGL

Post by matthunter1448 »

Sad that they do that. It just hurts the community cause. But at least your here! Thanks for all you do
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Well gets a little tricky - I can't answer questions on Van's anymore - granted - it's not as frequent as it used to be.
I am hoping somebody on our forum here will jump in and at least guide any users that need help to this forum.
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

If I see anything I will definitely do that I don't frequent all sections though
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Thanks - there is one under the COMM section...
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

rainier wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 am Thanks - there is one under the COMM section...
Done!
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Thank you that is appreciated
Netconn

Post by Netconn »

So what happened to Matt and MGL in Torrance, CA. The knowledge base link is no longer working.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

The link is now on Michigan's website and also posted as a sticky on this forum.

Matt is still around but things got to tight for him - MGL's sales have steadily grown in the U.S. despite my best efforts to slow things a bit. It was starting to cause issues and expansion was needed. We looked at several options and Adam from Michigan was Matt's choice to spread things. Matt retains the technical backup side - he also took on work distributing with the South African built Sling aircraft coupled with a related flight school - it was just getting too much. He also got married (eventually !). That put a further damper on his available time so things had to change.

Michigan Avionics has setup a real nice website and has jumped into distribution with great enthusiasm. Adam is also very competent on the software side so let's see where that goes.

In a way it is a bit of a pity that this change happened now as we are struggling with supply logistics related to electronic components and while we are running at full capacity there are some issues getting things out on time - usually because you are waiting on a promise that depends on another promise etc etc. The World's electronics component supply is under severe strain the likes we have never seen. For example the CPU chips we use in many of our systems (ST Microsystems 32 bit ARM processors) are now on a two year lead time from order. How do you know how many chips you will need of a particular type in two years time ? We have bought all stocks we could find when it became apparent what was happening so we are actually good. The same or similar is happening everywhere. Pressure sensors - the backbone of what we do - we are only now receiving deliveries of parts we ordered back in January when we started emergency buying as it became clear that Covid would have a major effect.
I'm not going into detail why these problems exist - but it's a combination of Covid and U.S. sanctions on some contract chip makers as well as tariff wars.
I really hope this will return to some form of normality soon - buying components has become an all consuming affair. As you can imagine - this also ties up a large amount of money in stock.
dutchroll

Post by dutchroll »

rainier wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am As it effectively became a Garmin forum we decided to pull out.
Just saw this thread and yeah.... I totally empathise with that. I still browse it once in a blue moon and have been on it for many years but it has pretty much become a self-sustaining surrogate Garmin marketing website as far as avionics goes. Occasionally MGL gets a mention & I’ve attempted to provide information.....or correct ignorance (with varying degrees of success, I suspect). There is definitely an avionics “pecking order” vibe there these days!

On the support side I can’t heap enough praise on Matt, and in fact the new MGL USA crowd have, probably unbeknownst to them, impressed me in the past few days too.