MGL Current Sensor

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
VA Long Ez

MGL Current Sensor

Post by VA Long Ez »

Okay, I've read the installation manual a couple of times, and need to "calibrate" my sensor. I will be putting this on the alternator line (probably 10/12 AWG) How do I set the gain and zero current points? Is it as simple as putting a multimeter across the sensor and having amps or volts selected? I also do not have the setup screens as depicted in the installation manual. I'm running the G3 simulator (1.1.2.1 version number) and only have down to the Voltage calibration: 100%
VA Long Ez

Re: MGL Current Sensor

Post by VA Long Ez »

Okay, here's what I did. Used the MGL current sensor on an 8 AWG wire from the alternator. I used a gain of 525 for the sensor to get the volts equal to 0, or the current load when hooked to a digital voltmeter. I also plugged the wires into the RDAC XF, - the black (GND) to the top GND, Green to the CURR input, and the Red to the +5v input. So far, everything works as normal, and I have a god readout of the amps, when I put the speed brake out, or the gear up/down.

Of, yeah, the setting page on the Explorer Lite running a G3 1.1.0.1 is on the Menu-->System Setup-->Engine monitoring Setup-->Setup RDAC Probe and Senders setup-->Current Sender Setup (page 3 I think) in order to set the gain.