Odyssey behaving strangely

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Safetyman

Odyssey behaving strangely

Post by Safetyman »

Good morning;

My Odyssey EFIS is behaving strangely - sometimes the screen "topples" (the horizon goes off to the side), or sometimes a "mountain" appears briefly in the screen and then disappears and this morning, the EFIS rebooted in flight without any input from my side...

Anyone else with similar experiences? Anyone that can offer some advice on how to sort this out? Could it be a need for new firmware?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
SM
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Odyssey behaving strangely

Post by rainier »

Well, firmware changes aren't usually going to fix things that were working before.

The screen moving - that could be the connector that joins the main PCB to the display module getting a bit tired - usually taking it out and re-seating it back fixes that.

Restarts in flight could have a long list of causes - both internal as well as external. Almost impossible to tell from here. The Odyssey contains a power supply monitor that will shut down the system if supply gets out of limits even very briefly - that sometimes is a cause of a static discharge in flight - this can impose quite large voltage surges on your supplies (usually traveling on the grounds). We have had many of these - usually the source can be found but this can cause gray hair. One case I remember took a year to find - that was on a carbon fiber aircraft - one of the wings was not bonded to the fuselage via a copper strap - it had been left forgotten when the aircraft was assembled. This caused, if conditions were right, a hefty spark discharge from wing into fuselage and it so happened straight into the GPS cable that went to the Odyssey.
Most of these things however happen in the engine bay and electrically isolated radiators (oil and water) tend to be the main source of this.