RDAC Issue

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
VA Long Ez

RDAC Issue

Post by VA Long Ez »

Odd problem here: All EGTs and CHTs were working fine in flight, on the ground, etc., then I came in for some gas, so I shut the engine down. When I started back up, the #2 cylinder EGT and CHT were not showing an indication. Odd that only the #2 cylinder (EGT & CHT) wasn't working after an engine shutdown. Need some ideas on where to start on troubleshooting.

TIA,

Chris
VA Long Ez

Re: RDAC Issue

Post by VA Long Ez »

Oh yeah: RDAC XF, with Explorer Lite, MGL V16, MGL Extender and MGL Compass SP6
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Easiest is to just swap the probe leads at the RDAC (say from no 2 to no 1) and see if the fault moves - if yes your probe has failed - most likely wire break somewhere. Check to make sure that none of the wires "shake" anywhere along their run (usually worst when engine at low RPM). Continuous flexing of thermocouple corer wires quickly destroys them.
VA Long Ez

Post by VA Long Ez »

Ended up being an intake air induction tube gasket failure. Replaced the gasket and all is well with all probes indicating correctly.