Fuel Tank Calibration

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Waldopilot

Fuel Tank Calibration

Post by Waldopilot »

I have Dynon capacitance fuel tank sensors connected via the dynon capacitance to voltage converters to the mgl
RDAC XF. It seems impossible to calibrate these senders and I,m wondering if they are compatible?
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Tank Calibration

Post by rainier »

Yes they work quite well.

They output a voltage in a relatively narrow band so it is important that the ground supply of the level sender and the RDAC is the same (i.e. the two ground connections should run to a common point - usually at the RDAC itself. This avoids any additional voltages from adding and subtracting from the Dynon due to ground currents.

Make sure the pull-up resistors of your RDAC are switched off.

Also you must use avgas only - capacitive probes do not work with today's automotive fuels and tend to be next to useless as the fuel composition and the dialectric constant varies greatly.