Spam bots

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

Spam bots

Post by rainier »

I am surprised how fast the spam bots are taking on this new forum.
I have started adding a few counter measures. The first is to only allow new registrations after a verification e-mail has been sent/received.
Let me see how that does before I make things harder.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Spam bots

Post by rainier »

Spam bots still getting through. No idea how they get past the Captcha.
I have now changed this to a simple Q&A and the first post of a new registration needs to be approved before it is visible. That way at least I can kill the spam before it floods the forum.
Let's see how that goes - does require me to log on every day to approve any pending messages (only your first one, after that you can post freely).
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Spam bots

Post by rainier »

Easy to weed them out now - but I need to approve first posts so that causes delays for users to get onto the forum.
Will hunt around and try alternate solutions if I find anything.

Mostly Russian bots - they have no issue getting around the the captha's it seems. Even the list of questions I made up. Only one bot seemingly of Chinese origin so far.