DC Current sensor calibration

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
daylef

DC Current sensor calibration

Post by daylef »

Hi. I've had a DC magnetic sensor hooked up to an RDAC for some time and have never been able to get it calibrated. It will only show negative current (or positive current when reversed) and a shunt connected in the same line shows completely different results when displayed on a multimeter. Attempts to calibrate it using the method in the manual have never worked in giving a linear result. The nearest magnetic source is about 100mm away in case that is an issue. So my question is, is there some other means to show current on the XTreme EMS such as a shunt?

Cheers
Dayle...
mikeh

Re: DC Current sensor calibration

Post by mikeh »

Hi Dale,
I had a similar experience with mine and eventually put it in the bin. I just use my volt reading, which is a pretty good indicator.
Cheers
Mike
rainier
Site Admin

Re: DC Current sensor calibration

Post by rainier »

We do have a closed loop current measurement device now which is compatible. This is not sensitive to tray magnetic fields and does not have to be calibrated (other than the "zero" point).

Rainier