Trig transponder abd SP12

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Hotscam

Trig transponder abd SP12

Post by Hotscam »

I purchased a Trig TT21 with control unit and SP12 GPS
In the documentation it says it is not possible to use the Trig contol head so I guess I need to wire it stand alone. Wiring of the 12 to the Trig is clear but I would like to use the SP12 for the efis as well. I assume this is done by the CAN bus ? One or Two ?
Is there a wiring exemple ?

Rgds

Jack
Netherlands
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Trig transponder abd SP12

Post by rainier »

Your SP-12 would be connected to your EFIS as would the transponder also via the same CAN bus. You would use the MGL Trig interface to provide the CAN bus for the trig.

This way the Trig gets GPS information from both the SP-12 as well as EFIS and can choose the most appropriate to use. Control is via the EFIS on the CAN bus.

So in a nutshell - pretty simple to wire up. Just drop both onto the CAN bus. Nothing to configure or setup for the connection - just tell the EFIS that you are using a transponder on the CAN bus and setup the various mode-s related fields in the transponder setup menu. Things like ICAO code, aircraft type etc.

Rainier
brs

Re: Trig transponder abd SP12

Post by brs »

I have the TT22 and SP-12 and was going to do the same thing, just use one GPS antenna on the SP-12. But MichiganAvionics told me that the internal (MX1 anyway) gps was better. The reason we need the SP-12 is it's a certified gps source.