New MGL Avionics user forum

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

New MGL Avionics user forum

Post by rainier »

The MGL Avionics user forum at mglavionicsusers.org is no more !
After many years of faithful support this forum is offline. It was a true user run forum run by MGL supporter Bill Cherry. Bill's health has taken a turn for the worse five years ago but he steadfastly maintained the user forum since. He has now thrown in the towel but is still doing OK.
The old forum software is not up-gradable and it is difficult to reuse items from it.

We have thus decided to create a new forum hosted on MGL's server using the GNU phpBB3 forum application. This has been used for the large South African flying enthusiasts forum "AvCom" for many years and it has proven to be a stable and friendly platform.

If you were a user registered on the old forum, please accept our invitation to register here. If you are a new MGL user or just interested, you are very welcome to join us.
mikeh

Re: New MGL Avionics user forum

Post by mikeh »

Thankyou Rainier,
Great to see you have this up and running. It's a shame to see the end of the old forum, its a great loss. A very big thanks to all those involved in running it.
I hope this will be a worthy replacement.
Best wishes.
And Cheers.
Mike in OZ
Fabio Bolorino

Post by Fabio Bolorino »

Hi Rainier,

Onboard & following.

Thanks. :)
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

Hi All,

Oh boy, this seems to be a big blow to the MGL family in having the old user forum and knowledge base disappear.

Is the future going to be one where buyers of new MGL product will have supported from the selling dealers. But for people like me who purchases a secondhand aircraft with MGL Avionics, they will find it very hard to find support for their older MGL Avionics.

Due to the Convid 19, I have been able to spend days on the old MGL user forum leaning about my Voyager EFIS from the wealth of Knowledge the forum had from Rainier and the vast array of MGL users who gave willingly of their time and experience in writing and replying to posts or making video's to help people like me to get up to speed. Thank you everyone.

I looked around this new forum and think of the 1000's and 1000's of hours Rainier and many other people have spent answering questions and it seems all this has to start over again. But it makes me feel like my MGL Voyager EFIS is running on borrowed time, how can you go back and rewrite all that knowledge about my older Voyager.

I am no expert in what it takes to keep a forum running and I hear what Rainier is saying about there are issues in bring across the old knowledge base, but surely that vast data base of MGL knowledge is worth saving. Maybe, I just don't understand the amount of work involved.

So many thanks to Bill for his years of endless effort in keeping the old forum going.

Cheers to All
JimJab
Older MGL units
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Believe me, we are trying.
Bill Cherry ran the old forum for what feels like close to 20 years ? It's actually amazing it ran this long on an old PC and using by now ancient software.
Bill is trying to resurrect the server - hopefully for long enough so we can try and extract all the valuable information and post it in some form or another.

As far as borrowed time is concerned - some will argue that everything lives on borrowed time. That is true of course - but as long as MGL is around - we hope for a long time still - there should not be an issue.
When we were 2 or 5 years old - long ago, people told us they were nervous of buying from us as they thought we would quickly disappear (sadly like many of our competitors over the years) - but we did not and our product rage kept growing and being re-designed all the time. Nothing has changed - that is still going on.

We thought Covid would give us a hard time. It did - but not in the way we expected - instead demand for our products has just about doubled while we struggle to find all the specialized electronic components we need (many of the electronics parts manufacturers have reduced their lines).

Try find pressure sensors at the moment - the types we use are unavailable and out of stock everywhere. If you want some - at least 6 months lead time from the manufacturer. Luckily we have fairly large quantities on order for some time (which are scheduled to arrive this month). But the point is - when things like this happen, and it is by no means rare - we make a plan. So now we are actually going to start producing our own pressure senders. We are very excited about that as it means it is under our control - this for both altimeters and airspeed sensors. The range and accuracy we are getting our of our prototypes is amazing, even over a really wide temperature range. We are now doing the plastics for these things and will be using a media resistant nylon variety - very tough - the idea is that we can likely start using this for fuel and oil pressure too.

Borrowed time ? I don't think so...
Stalky

Post by Stalky »

Strenght to your arm, Rainer!

Go, man, go!!
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

Thanks Rainier for doing what you can to help Bill get the MGL Forum content onto another server.
And for your commitment and drive you have, both for your past, current and future MGL products.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units
Tasmag

Post by Tasmag »

Good work Rainier,

Mike