ECB LED dilemma

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
andynoiseboy

ECB LED dilemma

Post by andynoiseboy »

Hello All
I have an issue with the ECB dual LED mode when using a bi-colour LED. Because the 'Active' output (normally green) remains on during a fault condition, the addition of the 'Fault' output (normally red) has little effect on the visible colour. Green LEDs are almost always more efficient than red, and the ECB doesn't allow for any brightness control.

Am I alone in having this issue? Am I missing something?

TIA
Andy
rainier
Site Admin

Re: ECB LED dilemma

Post by rainier »

The idea here is that the green LED shows the switch status and the red LED the fault status - if the switch is on and a fault active (breaker tripped) then both LEDS are on and the color should be yellow (or on some LEDS an orange color).

Bi-color LEDS tend to be matched in brightness so there should not be any issue - if you are using separate LEDS you can get a very wide variety of currents vs luminance - but it is always possible to match the brighter to the dimmer one by using a series resistor to reduce the current.