Xtreme EMS

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
mleimetter

Xtreme EMS

Post by mleimetter »

Hi all. I’m sorry I have multiple questions regarding the setup and updating to the Xtreme EMS. I didn’t realize this old boomer would need to be a computer expert also lol.

I’m having an issue setting up my Xtreme EMS. I’m using the RDAC XF. I believe I have everything wired correctly. First issue is on the Xtreme itself. I am using single fuel tank, and two fuel flow sensors. I cannot get fuel tank 1 to show when on sender mode. The entire fuel area remains blank on the EMS. Values will only show when I activate fuel tank 2 (which I don’t have) then all fuel values show up. I want to display 1 fuel tank and and 2 fuel flows. What am I doing wrong?

Second issue, I have an MGL MAGNETIC CURRENT MEASUREMENT SENSOR placed on the main line to the power bus. From reading I think it should be placed on the wire from the alternator? My engine is not running yet so that wire is not hooked up yet. Considering I have it placed on the battery wire, shouldn’t it be showing me amps being drawn when panel is on? I’m very confused if you couldn’t tell lol.

Third issue is regarding updates to the SD card. I plugged it in to the computer, and there’s no firmware file on it. I did use the “copy to SD card function” on the EMS before placing it in the computer. The entire update/simulator thing has got me baffled, and I’m no stranger to computers.

Any help on any of my issues would be greatly appreciated. I’d really like to get my aircraft in the air lol.

Mike
Franz

Re: Xtreme EMS

Post by Franz »

Hi Mike,

Regarding the fuel flow. Select the fuel mode: differential or summation.

You should be seeing some current (as long as it is a few amps). You could do into the Sensor info menu on the Xtreme and see if there is any change in the Current ADC value. Then you will know if the current sensor is installed and connected correctly.

Please see page 72 of the manual on how to update the Xtreme EMS. We are currently on version 2.16. It might be best to update the firmware and then load default settings. This will bring back the Xtreme to factory defaults. The latest firmware file can be found on the MGL Avionics website under the Xtreme section.

Regards,
Franz
mleimetter

Post by mleimetter »

Thank you Franz.
mleimetter

Post by mleimetter »

Hi Franz and thanks so much for you help. I did get it to upgrade finally. I had also put the RDAC-XF .bin file on the card and initially it came up with an error message. How do I know if the RDAC was upgraded or not lol? I also figured out that you have to delete the EMS update software from the card or it will keep asking you if you want to update every time you power up the EMS. I had it showing me the 2 flow sensors and fuel tank 1 by using the diff settings but after the update it only shows 1 flow sensor now. I thought this was supposed to be almost plug n play but I’m finding a lot of gremlins. I really appreciate your help