Stratux

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Stratux

Post by rainier »

There is no limit to the amount of traffic it will show typically subject only to a given fixed size of a traffic file it maintains (16 entries). The file is always maintained in sorted by distance order so if required traffic that is furthest away will be removed if there is a new item that is closer or an existing item has moved closer. You can view the contents of the traffic file with information on each item.
In a nutshell - you always see the 16 closest traffic items if they will fit on your current map view - the limit is there mainly to avoid too much traffic on the map and so avoid clutter.
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

Turned my stratux on today with more traffic around and happy to say I got it to working and showing correctly on the efis with stratux 1.5b2 firmware. I was unable to get it to work on any of the newer stratux firmwares
brs

Post by brs »

I setup my Stratux / MX1 according to the info on this page...

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/ ... ial-Output

Wired just the Stratux RS232-Tx to the MX1 RS232-Rx-2 and then a signal ground between the two. Is it correct that the Stratux RS232-RX line can be ignored?

Set the Serial port to ADS-B GDL90 (only option that looked close), and set ADS-B to Navworks as well as told the Stratux to use 115200. Still no hint of serial data on the System Diagnostics Serial Page. Next, I'll try downgrading the software to 1.5b as @matthunter suggested.

Matt, before going to 1.5b did you get any data indication on the Diagnostics page?

========
Also: I installed one of these little BEC's inside the stratux case so I could power the stratux from 12v. Worked like a charm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823 ... UTF8&psc=1
These things are like half the size of a postage stamp and will putout 3amps at 5vdc.
matthunter1448

Post by matthunter1448 »

brs wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:33 am I setup my Stratux / MX1 according to the info on this page...

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/ ... ial-Output

Wired just the Stratux RS232-Tx to the MX1 RS232-Rx-2 and then a signal ground between the two. Is it correct that the Stratux RS232-RX line can be ignored?

Set the Serial port to ADS-B GDL90 (only option that looked close), and set ADS-B to Navworks as well as told the Stratux to use 115200. Still no hint of serial data on the System Diagnostics Serial Page. Next, I'll try downgrading the software to 1.5b as @matthunter suggested.

Matt, before going to 1.5b did you get any data indication on the Diagnostics page?

========
Also: I installed one of these little BEC's inside the stratux case so I could power the stratux from 12v. Worked like a charm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823 ... UTF8&psc=1
These things are like half the size of a postage stamp and will putout 3amps at 5vdc.
I was not able to get any data on the diagnostic page prior to downgrading the software. Mine worked perfect right after I did that. You are correct the stratux does not need anything on the rx line, It isn't looking for any data just transmitting it outbound. Do you have a consistent blue flashing light on tx on the serial output board?
brs

Post by brs »

matthunter1448 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:35 am
... Do you have a consistent blue flashing light on tx on the serial output board?
Yes I have a blue flashing light, didn't look to see which one it was though.
I've down graded to 1.5b and also upgraded (today) the MX1 to ver10.
Only local traffic though would have been airline stuff up high.

Edit: finally figured it out. I managed to solder the wires to the USB->RS232 device backwards. OOPS.
Works fine now. Thanks everyone for your input.