iEFIS Screen designer and Simulator - AOA functionality?

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
bkc

iEFIS Screen designer and Simulator - AOA functionality?

Post by bkc »

I am starting to customize my screens using the screen designer and simulation tool for the latest G3 update (1.1.0.3). I am attempting to define a module in the screen designer using the AOA display as documented in the iEFIS alteration guide. However, when I instantiate the AOA object in the screen designer, the object doesn't appear but it does seem to be selected with a white blinking box. As I try to move or resize, nothing happens. On top of that, there are no controls for the legend or limits in the property editor. Does anyone have a diagnosis or fix?

As the documentation mentioned, it is also possible to use a bargraph or ARC. I have successfully been able to instantiate and test them in the simulator. However, the bargraph doesn't appear to have the ability to change the limits of each colorband so that I can adjust it. Additionally, neither the bargraph or ARC seem to change after AOA calibration (I did go through the documented AOA sequence for a relative pressure configuration).

As an aside, I really like the concept provided by "relocatable modules". I love being able to develop individual instruments using the relocatable module designer and then pull it all together with a text file. I've done a few simple tests without problems but I need to test this at a large scale to ensure robustness. I love automated scripts that pull things together so this is right up my alley. Are there any other interesting scripting features that are in progress?

-Bryan
iEFIS Challenger Light, firmware G3 1.1.0.5
Extender with AOA + SP-6 + RDAC to Rotax 912iS
bkc

Re: iEFIS Screen designer and Simulator - AOA functionality?

Post by bkc »

I just discovered that when the simulator and screen designer are in "normal" EFIS mode, the AOA appears and functions properly. However, in "lite" mode, the AOA doesn't appear on-screen in either the simulator or screen designer.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Are there any workarounds or is it a bug?

-Bryan
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Has to do with the AOA not being native to the lite - enable the extender and select the AOA (don't disable it) in the instrument setup.
bkc

Post by bkc »

Yes, I have already done this but still don't see the existing AOA nor will it show it if I explicitly instantiate one in the screen designer tool. Perhaps I am not doing all that I need to enable the AOA. Here is what I did based on menu titles:

1. Menu -> System setup menu -> Equipment enables -> Extender module enable (place checkmark here)
2. Menu -> System setup menu -> Flight instruments setup -> AOA probe type: Relative (1 port)

After this was enabled I even calibrated the AOA using the pressure sensors and it still didn't work. Are there any other settings I am missing?
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

For screen design purposes, you can set the AoA probe type to 'Virtual' and it should show up on the screen. Once in the aircraft you can set the correct probe type and it does work (assuming connected correctly etc).
bkc

Post by bkc »

Works! Thank you for your help.