How to design my avionics system & panel

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
JFYrineo

How to design my avionics system & panel

Post by JFYrineo »

I've completed my PPL and set for my IFR Checkride (rescheduled for the 3rd time due to really crappy winter/spring weather). I pursued my IFR rating to be a better pilot, IMC is NOT something I plan to do on any kind of regular basis. Next step in my aviation journey is the build of a Sonex B with a Jabiru 3300. I pick my kit up from Sonex in early June. I'm a retired manufacturing engineer, a history of mechanical work, limited systems & electrical work (I had "people" for that hahaha). Have also been a co-lead on a restoration of a Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar for a static display at our local airport/airbase museum so I have developed many of the mechanical skills for building the Sonex B.

After flying all this time in an old C172 with steam gauges, I look forward to a modern glass panel, autopilot, etc. What I am looking for is advice and direction now on making my equipment and systems decisions (still early I know) and conducting the necessary research to plan my systems, layouts, etc.

There is a lot on this forum, where are a few good places to start my research and study for creating a glass panel MGL system? Any advice and recommendations appreciated.
Pestar

Re: How to design my avionics system & panel

Post by Pestar »

Google Bob Nuckolls' "AeroElectric Connection". He is the recognised guru for avionics in amateur built aircraft. I used his diagrams as the basis for wiring my plane. He has a philosophy of safety in his designs of various circuits.

Cheers Peter
Peter Armstrong
DynAero MCR-4S ZK-PSA
Auckland New Zealand

2 x G2 Voyagers, Extreme, 3 MGL Servos, SP2, SP4, SP6, SP7, 2 x V10's, MGL SP12, RDAC, I/O Extender