MGL Autopilot servos significant resistance when not powered

Post here for anything that does not fit any of the categories below. Any topic related to MGL and flying welcome.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
avi8tr1364

MGL Autopilot servos significant resistance when not powered

Post by avi8tr1364 »

My airplane has 3 MGL servos installed, converted to capstan. All 3 servos have significant resistance when not powered. When doing a flight control check on the ground the controls feel heavier. In the air the control forces are pretty bad. I disconnected the servo cables and the airplane flies nice and light on the controls. I can barely move the mgl servo drum by hand without servo cables installed and no power applied to the servo. When removing the drum it is impossible to turn the output shaft and collar. Am I correct to assume there should be little resistance on the servo when not powered? There also seems to be a dead spot on all the servos where it is not possible to continue turning the shaft. Is there anything I can check to see whats going on? I find it curious that all 3 servos have the same issue. What can this be caused by? I did not do the original install. When I got the airplane the servo cables were disconnected.
adamoconnor

Re: MGL Autopilot servos significant resistance when not powered

Post by adamoconnor »

It sounds like someone may have really messed up in the implementation of the servos. The only thing you should feel when moving them is just the slightest of "clicks" as the stepper motor rotates from hand movement.
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
avi8tr1364

Re: MGL Autopilot servos significant resistance when not powered

Post by avi8tr1364 »

Thanks for the reply Adam. I removed one servo from the aircraft. The resistance is caused by the stepper motor. The magnetic rotor is touching the stator causing the increased residual torque. All the bearings and spur gear are fine. I guess I have to send them in to get fixed.